Sunday, August 28, 2016

Would love to have some great compny while on RETREAT at Odessa Fairgrounds Hall the weekend of September 23-25th... bring a friend or two and join me!

COME PLAY - Friday Quilting, Saturday Dye Play and Sunday is stitch day.....



Maybe some piecework and stitching... Friday September 23rd



The Fibreworks sponsored FALL FIBRE RETREAT weekend is September 23-25th at the Odessa Hall at the Fairgrounds, and I will be there working away on some of my own things and sharing some tricks and tips I use in my exhibition work and just playing around...

I have a new piece in the works or the spring Kingstn Fibre Artists Show at the TETT mid-March through mid-April 2017, so have to get some sewing underway! The calendar is so busy and making time for stitching is just mandatory now as we head into September.

Maybe a bit of Dye work on Saturday... September 24th
You know me... most of my work is dye based and I like using MY OWN fabric - sure it is a white cotton base, but I add the colour, textre, line and stitch.

So I will make up some pre-mixed dyes (I will mixing them up on Friday night at the hall Odessa in case you want to join in and learn how to set up a dye run that can be saved and used over and over... likely 5-7 pm.)

Everyone who shows up on Saturday is welcome to join in and make it a DYE DAY!

I want to explore some TEXT on cloth Sunday - so will be developing some cloth to be used in hand stitch exercises... and one of the formats I love is the "discharge" process, using paste that I can water down a bit and paint on with a brush, and also a gel bleach pen... so that will happen early Sunday the 24th of September - and when the Sunday demo starts at about 10 am, I will be sharing some new books and techniques I use as inspiration for SLOW STITCH... hand work - you know, time to fill an afternoon and a piece of cloth!


Sari Silk, stitch practice
Stiching is a passion, and something you have to commit to and make time for and love...

I have to admit that sometimes it is just too tedious for the arthritis plagued hands of this old artist, but I mutter "Yes, You Can" over and over as I start and soon I just find myself able to carry on.

It the colour and the texture and the line and shapes you can image up as you add the stitch. There are friends I really admire for their stitch abilities - Robin Field, Phillida Hargreaves, and Judy Martin... and now Mita Giacomini is my stitch idol.

The collection of threads grows, and I have more needles than I will ever use - time to get busy!
PACKED in, the stitches become the fabric of our lives...


I would love to have you join me for some fun on this fall weekend, so see the Fall Fibre Retreat REGISTRATION FORM on the blog sidebar here at FIBREWORKS Kingston's blog... just glance right!

Hope to see you soon... bring a couple of friends and spend a day or the whole weekend with us!

If you need a pdf copy of the registration form, email be at garner@kingston.net

bethany